- Skin lightening and whitening is quite popular – but can you do it safely without using dangerous chemicals?
- In this article, we examine how you can use oral Reduced L-Glutathione safely to lighten your skin color. And it’s available right here in Kenya.
There’s nothing wrong with living in the skin you love – even if you prefer a lighter skin. But most of the bleaching agents available are dangerous, and they are also illegal in Kenya.
Most of these whitening products from China contain hydroquinone or mercury, both of which can be deadly in the long run. Buyer beware. Lots of people, especially women are spending huge amounts of money to get a lighter skin, but at what cost?
In this article, we’ll look at you can achieve a lighter skin without applying dangerous chemicals to bleach your skin, and do it safely.
The glutathione way.
What is Glutathione?
Glutathione (GSH) is powerful antioxidant produced in the cells. It’s made of 3 amino acids – glutamine, glycine, and cysteine. Its production decreases with age.
An antioxidant is a molecule that helps fight free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that form in response to factors like your diet and the environment. If free radicals are not neutralized, they cause inflammation, which in turn cause a variety of health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, neurological issues, etc.
GSH is also important in
- Breakdown of nutrients to produce energy
- Metabolism of toxins and cancer-causing substances
- Regulation of important processes, including immune response (1)
- Creation and repair of DNA
- Activation of enzymes
As you can see, glutathione benefits go beyond the skin. GSH is probably one of the most important supplements you can take to boost immunity, increase energy and prolong life!
Here are more added benefits of using glutathione:
- Glutathione is a powerful agent for creation and repair of DNA – skin regeneration and anti-aging. It has been found to decrease wrinkles and increase skin elasticity
- Glutathione is anti-inflammatory – which protects you against diseases like asthma, common cold, arthritis, etc
- Glutathione is a powerful detox agent, removing toxins from the body. Without glutathione, your body would not be able to neutralize and eliminate toxins effectively. Accumulation of toxins in the body leads to acne, bad breath, and poor sleep patterns. Lack of leads to daily stress and can damage the skin
- Glutathione protects mitochondria due to its antioxidant properties, leading to more efficient energy production. In fact, glutathione has been shown to boost athletic performance (6) by boosting energy production and improving blood flow (7).
- Glutathione reduces psoriasis (10)
- Glutathione boosts brain health and cognitive function (11)
- Glutathione boosts cardiovascular health and may prevent heart attack (12) by neutralizing damage to our arteries
- Glutathione is important in functioning of vitamin D3 which is important in immune and bone health and many other benefits. When glutathione levels are low, vitamin D3 doesn’t work as efficiently
Glutatione And Skin Lightening
Glutathione was first discovered in the 1920s in the UK and widely used for its antioxidant properties.
In fact, it’s role as a skin whitener was discovered as a side effect of its antioxidant properties. So far, only a few studies (2, 3, 4, 5) have been done on the role of glutathione in skin lightening. It’s worth noting that wider and more robust research is needed.
GSH reduces skin pigmentation levels by reducing production of melanin. It lightens the whole body from inside.
Oral glutathione is in the “generally regarded as safe” category of the Food and Drug Administration and is usually marketed as a food or dietary supplement.
GSH is rapidly damaged by stomach acid, and is very poorly absorbed. Taking any commercially available glutathione may not be viable for this reason. You must take reduced L-Glutathione to achieve best results.
Increase Intake of Vitamin C to Boost Glutathione Absorption
Vitamin C boosts glutathione levels by attacking free radicals first, thereby sparing glutathione. It also helps reprocess glutathione by converting oxidized glutathione back to its active form (13).
We recommend Liposomal vitamin C, a highly bioavailable form of vitamin C:
Add R-Lipoic Acid to Boost Glutathione Levels
R-Lipoic Acid is a proglutathione dietary supplement that boosts glutathione levels (14).
R-lipoic acid is a super antioxidant that regulates oil production, firms skin, increases glutathione produced naturally by the body and thus lightens the skin.
Taking this supplement will boost your glutathione levels. R-Lipoic acid with Biotin and Bioperine is the best supplement to bridge this gap.
How Long Does Glutathione Take To Lighten The Skin?
When taken in an oral form it takes about three months for skin lightening. When given by intravenous or intramuscular method, the results can be seen as early as 2-3 weeks:
- Fair to medium brown Complexion – 1-3 Months
- Dark Brown Complexion – 1-6 Months
- Very dark Complexion – 6-12 months
- Black Complexion – 12-24 months
Intravenous or intramuscular intake of glutathione can come with many risks, and is not recommended.
How Much Glutathione To Take For Skin Whitening?
First, it’s important to note that glutathione efficacy in skin lightening works only if it is taken with Vitamin C at least equal or twice its dosage.
Standard dosage is 20-40 mg/kg of body weight for 3-6 months once or twice in a day and best if taken at night 2-3 hours after last meal for better absorption (15). For example, if you’re 60 kg, you should take 1200-2400 mg once or twice daily.
Does Glutathione Lighten Skin Permanently?
Glutathione’s whitening effects are permanent only if you will maintain it. It is advisable to still continue taking even though you have achieved the skin tone you want. Take 1 tablet a day as maintenance.
Also, it’s advisable to avoid too much exposure to sunlight.
You won’t go back to your original skin color even if you stop taking these supplements, however, there is a tendency for you to be tan or darken your skin if you expose yourself to sunlight and other harsh elements.
Glutathione Side Effects
Some rare mild side effects have been recorded, such as abdominal cramps, bloating, loose stools, gas, and possible allergic reactions.
Always consult your healthcare provider before taking dietary supplements, but especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
To recap, to use glutathione for skin lightening, follow these steps:
- Use oral reduced L-Glutathione which has a better bioavailability for maximum effect
- You must take it with high dose vitamin C – Liposomal vitamin C is recommended
- Your dose will be determined by your body weight and skin tone
- Expect to see changes from a few weeks to a few months
- After you achieve your desired results, maintain the results with a low dose of glutathione
Any comments? Please submit them below.