- Collagen remains wildly popular in beauty and health circles.
- With different types of collagens to choose from, which one should you choose?
- We look at the different types, and how to choose the best one for your needs.
Since we have different types of collagens, I thought it would help to help remove the confusion on how to select the best collagen for your needs.
Collagen has become wildly popular as a safe way to attain and retain natural beauty without cosmetics, and maintain the strength joints, muscles and bones.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, forming connective tissue in most organs like the skin, joints, hair, nails, bones, etc. Think of collagen as minute ropes of protein. In young kids, these ropes are tight, and their skin is smooth and tight.
However with age, as collagen levels decrease, the end of these ropes begin to fray, and the skin becomes loose.
Types Of Collagen
There are many types of collagen, but we’ll focus on the most abundant in the body, and the most common as supplements. Here are the different types of collagen:
Collagen Type 1:
Collagen type 1 is the most prevalent in the body, and most abundant in the skin, hair and nails. It’s also abundant in bones, tendons and other organs. It’s also the strongest type of collagen.
You can easily tell type 1 collagen levels are low when the skin starts to sag, fines lines appear, nails become brittle and hair starts to thin.
Collagen Type 2:
Type 2 collagen is less abundant, but critical for cartilage, and a healthy skeletal system. Healthy people who rely on joints should take more of type 2 collagen.
Our Multi-Collagen Blend has collagen type 2.
Collagen Type 5
Type 5 collagen is one of the less abundant, and forms interstitial collagen along with type 1 to form connective tissue.
It co-exists along with type 2 in cartilage. It also exists in cell surfaces, women’s placenta and womb, as well as hair.
Our Multi-Collagen Blend has collagen type 5.
Collagen Type 10
Type 10 collagen is mainly present in joint cartilage. Again the Multi-Collagen Blend is the best source.
Which Collagen is Best For You?
To help you choose the best collagen for your needs, here are the collagen choices, and what they contain:
NEOCELL HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN POWDER
ULTRA-COLLAGEN PLUS VITAMIN C
- This has collagen types 1 & 3, formulated as caplets
- It also contains collagen + vitamin C
- Vitamin C stimulates collagen production in the body, improving the skin’s texture and quality. It helps fade pigmentation and help fade dark spots and lead to a more even-toned complexion
- Vitamin C also means this collagen is more bioavailable because it is essential for collagen synthesis to occur
- This will last you 30 days (3g per day)
To recap, there are 5 different types of collagen – 1,2, 3, 5 & 10. Types 1 and 3 are the most popular and most abundant. The different collagens in the market contain different collagen types.
Hopefully this article will make it easier for you to choose the best collagen product for your needs. Which one is your favorite and why?